Friday, June 14, 2013

oh where oh where did my sunshine go??‏

Liebe Familie und Freunde,
     Sooo I still can't believe it is almost June. And! The sun hasn't even showed its face the last WEEK! And it is supposed to rain the whole coming week. But! What can you do? I would say dance in it..but the people here already think we are weird enough..hmm..I will think of something..at any rate..it's a good thing I'm not made of sugar! :)
     So! Last week! Flew by. In the end, we didn't have a whole lot of lessons....but! The ones that we did teach were AWESOME! We are privileged to be working with some really special people here in Stuttgart. I love them. And Tuesday we FINALLY got Sister Jencks's Visa...so she is FINALLY legal to be a missionary here in Stuttgart! Jetzt geht's los! ;) We also had a really neat District meeting. I love missionaries.
Annnd Wednesday Sister Jencks woke up sick and was bed ridden all day. Which left sister Bice cooped up in the kitchen. All. Day. Well, mostly all day. We did make it to Ward Council. Which was...hilarious. I love the German members. So. Much. I may or may not have been laying in bed trying to sleep the other night..and I was thinking about the fact that well..my days are numbered...annd I shed a little tear or two. I really do just love these people so much. All of them. Not just the ones I know, but the ones walking around on the street, the ones in the bahns...just the German and Austrian people. I guess that is one of the dangerous beauties of a mission. We are asked to give our hearts to these people, and then we are asked to leave. But! If they think they can get rid of me THAT easily...they've got another thing coming. I'll be back some day. And until then, I'll be keeping in touch. :)
     Umm! We also had a Finding Day this week. Our distrikt got together and tore up Stuttgart for 4 hours. I LOVE finding days. I love working with other missionaries because whether the people decide to listen or not, we just keep each others spirits up. And! We did manage to find some WAY neat people! Boah. It just felt great. Finding day is awesome because you get to share your testimony SO much, in such a small time frame. Love it:) After finding day, we met the Bensons at Stuttgarts one and only Pizza hut for a district dinner. Which was way cool because...our waiter? Was a member! From Africa! But lost contact with the church when he came to Germany. So we got his number. :) And! Ok..now time for my probably-should-be-embarrassing-but-I'm-more-proud-than-embarrassed moment. Long story short. I ate a whole pizza. By myself. Not that I was necesarrily hungry after half of it, but the Elders didn't think I could do it and..well..sometimes my pride gets the best of me. They looked at the pizza and looked at the size of me and so there was no way but...where there's a will, there's a way. Ha. Yeaaahhh...I think our Senior Couple was mildly shocked and appalled...haha. My mother would be proud? Well..maybe not..perhaps my father....:)
    So! Quatsch aside....yesterday was Sunday. Which is always lovely. Apparently one of the Sacrament speakers didn't show up, so they asked Sister Jencks and I to bear our testimonies. For which I was really grateful. I still am not a fan of talking in front of people..but my personal study was so good all last week that I felt like I just had to get it out! Anywho..I was thinking about how neat testimonies are. Behind each testimony lies lives, feelings, experiences, etc, that lead an individual to know certain truths. Which totally makes sense because our Father knows us perfectly and individually. Anywho. Our testimonies just never stay the same. Sie sind lebendig. They are constantly either growing..be that stronger, or weaker. And yesterday as I sat thinking about it, I was almost overwhelmed with how much my testimony has grown over the last 18 months. I am SO grateful for the opportunity that we have to change. As children of our Heavenly Father, we have been granted, through the Atonement, the ability to become better. It just is so neat. That we, imperfect as we are, have the ability and potential to become like our Savior, who is perfect. I have thought a LOT this last transfer about missions and change and how I can retain the change I have experience d on my mission AFTER my mission and decided that perhaps the greatest things one can take home from a mission (and may I add perhaps the greatest things we can take "Home" from this life..) are Christ-like Attributes. What we have become. I truly do just LOVE reading about Jesus Christ. And although I stand all amazed at all of His perfect attributes, I think Charity leaves me the most in awe. The bible dictionary calls charity "the greatest in the trio of things that abide forever." Meaning of course faith, hope, and charity. And Joseph Smith once said “Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God.” To manifest="to be apparent; obvious.." Naja. I read this and thought "Hmm..well Sister Bice, YOU are aspiring to be a daughter of God..do YOU manifest His love..?" The answer..."Umm..not always.." I mean I feel like most of the time as followers of Christ we at least try to be loving people..but is it always obvious and apparent? Just a thought...
     Ok ok! I know that I am already way past most of your attention spans..but! Neat little german scripture moment! 1 Samuel 3:10 "Rede Herr, denn dein Diener hört.." The english, "Speak Lord for thy servant heareth.." And! Naja. The german is cool because you have DENN and you have DANN. Denn meaning "because" and dann meaning "then". Samuel doesn't say "Speak Lord, THEN thy servant will listen up.." rather, he says, "Speak Lord, because I, thy servant, am already listening.." I love that. I feel like sometimes I want an answer to a prayer, but have more of the attitude that "as soon as God starts speaking up, THEN I will certainly pay attention and listen!" When really, we need to be listening, because as our loving Father in Heaven, He is always speaking to us and trying to help us out....we just need to decide to listen. :)
     Ok! I will let it be before this thing gets any longer and you all start drooling on your keyboards...*wink* I love you all! Thanks for your love and prayers and support!
Love,
Sister Bice

No comments:

Post a Comment