Monday, March 5, 2012

Hello Hello! Or should I say Hallo Hallo? Doesn't sound quite as good...‏

Liebe Familie und Freunde,
Gen. 1:3 "And God said let there be light; and there was light." Ta-da! So, we haven't had a light in our bedroom..since got here..and apparently for the last year. We always just turned on the hall light and used a flashlight for the closet. But! Our new district leader learned of our plight, and sent a man from his ward to fix it for us last week. That was really sweet of him. It is an hour and a half drive. But! Now we have a light, and it is great:)
Wow! I can't believe we have only two weeks left in this transfer! And as of tomorrow, I will have been here in Germany for a MONTH! Meine Gute.
So! Let's see! This last week was really good. We are still on the hunt (with not much luck..)for some new investigators, but we had some good experiences nonetheless. Some lessons I learned..
So! Do you know what is great? Gratitude is great. You can take any situation and turn it around by simply being grateful! I really worked on that this week. Wednesday, I was saying my prayers before personal study, and as I got up from kneeling my button got caught on my chair, and ripped a hole in my sweater. My first reaction was a disgruntled "psh, so that's what I get huh?" But then, as I pulled out my little sewing kit (thanks dad!) I said a little prayer , "Thank you Heavenly Father for the opportunity this morning to brush up on my sewing.." And then went merrily on my way. Sometimes it isn't always easy to keep a smile on your face with all that goes on around you. But I decided this week that in Life According to Sister Bice, real joy is being able to be happy, no matter what is going on around you, because of what is going on inside of you. Smile! And the world will smile with you.
Last Friday, we were walking to an appointment, and I talked to an elderly lady on the street. She was..less than happy with me..annnnnd expressed said unhappiness by yelling "Lass mich in Ruhe!" Or, well, there is no direct translation, but, more or less "Leave me alone !" And. I couldn't help but think that that was a little ironic. The word "ruhe" means calm. And what she didn't know, is that there is no calmness or peace in this world, like the calmness and peace that come from living the gospel of Jesus Christ. As the Savior said in John 14:27, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." What a great, comforting promise from the Saviour of the world.
So Saturday we had some extra time and did some contacting. We tried finding some of the people on our potential investigators list, but the first address was wrong, and the second one we tried wasn't home. So, there we sat at the intersection. We decided to walk home and street contact. Sister Schulze said 'Main street or back roads?" I chose back roads. We started up the straße and saw a woman about our age. It was my turn. Sooo sometimes I have this moment of panic right before we get close enough to talk annnnd sometimes I chicken out. And she didn't exactly look like a prime candidate. She has more piercings that I have fingers.(as do a lot of the youth here..)..But! This time I fought it, and said "Darf ich Ihnen eine Karte von unsere Kirche geben?" She stopped saw our nametags, and said, in german, that she had written us once. Then my comp said "..Deborah?" Turns out she had emailed the church once asking for some info, but then never replied back, and the missionaries could never find her for further contact. And! There she was. She said she still hadn't found what she was looking for. We have an appointment for Thursday. Fingers crossed?
I am so grateful for this gospel. What an absolute blessing it is. I think sometimes, being raised in the church, I really have taken it for granted. But then I come here, and see all the sadness in the faces of people here, and think "Wow. I have been so blessed." I am so so SO grateful to be a missionary. To be a part of the Lord's army. What a privilege. After all that my Saviour has done for me, and continues to do for me every day of my life, what an honor it is to take some time, and give it wholly to Him. I am also oddly enough grateful for the times I have felt alone out here in this last month. It is the hard times that REALLY allow us to go to our Saviour. To give ourselves to Him. To helplessly plead with Him to take us, and make of us something greater. I read this week in "The fourth Missionary" and really good quote...
"Just give up. Surrender your will to Him. Unconditionally. Withhold nothing. Turn it all over to Him; all of your desires, wishes, ambitions, dreams, and hopes. Be true and faithful in your hear and in your heart, not just in your behavior. Trust in Him. Trust Him who knows all things. Trust Him who has all power. Turst Him shose love for you is perfect. Turst Him, who alone suffered, paid and atoned for your sins, and for your weaknesses as well. Turst Him that He will make of you, immeasureably more than what you will ever, ever, in all eternity make of yourself. 'He will create of you a masterpiece. You will create of you only a smudge. You will creat an oridnary man; He will create a God."-Lawrence Corbridge
THAT is my hope and my prayer. That as I daily strive to give myself and my will wholly unto Him, that He will take me, and make me into something that He can use. May we always remember and serve the One who has done so much for us, and find joy in the Saviour of the World.
So! Time up! I love you all, and thanks again for the ongoing support and prayers!
Liebe grüße.
Sister Bice

No comments:

Post a Comment