Monday, March 11, 2013

Liebe Familie und Freunde,
Sooo I figured I would start this week off with a little good news for mom...Last night we visited a darling family that I haven't seen in 3 months. They are so great. They also speak Turkish. Well, the dad does. And his son in law or daughter translate for us. So! We are there just chatting a bit and Herr Iding says something in Turkish while pointing to me, and his daughter, embarrassed translates "You've gained some weight since we last saw you! You've gotten more beautiful! A little flesh on your face suits you well.." Bahaha. Best. Day. Ever. Later, they had a full table of cookies in front of us and said we should eat more and I cracked a joke about already having gained weight and Herr Iding says, "...it's better so." Hmm..what's the old saying..."beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? Naja. Looks like I should start actually trying to do some morning sport hmm? *wink*
So! This week....was crazy. I feel like every week is crazy so I am more or less used to it. I decided that God has us make plans, just so He can change them. But! "..It's better so". :)  There was just a lot going on. Sometimes I still get the feeling that we run and run and run and sometimes It appears to be in circles..but! We are certainly trying our best and that is all we have to offer. So! Yeah. Monday was district pday. Tuesday was finding day in Linz. (Which! Was way good. I did some contacting with one of our zone leaders...so good! I learned a lot.) Wednesday was SISTER JUDD'S BIRTHDAY! Happy Birthday sister Judd! Have you ever tried to surprise a mission companion? It is really hard. Because they are with you..always. But! I managed to throw a little something together while she was in the shower..hah. We also had an exchange on Wednesday. Annd Thursday we were supposed to switch back but the train that sister Judd and Sister Armstrong were on got delayed for EVER so Sister Reid and I went to our appointment in Eferding which was AWESOME! Romana! She is a friend from a member in Haag, and she is really cool. It was our first appointment, and she wants to learn more about the plan of salvation so..yay! Freitag we went to a funeral. Usually we don't do stuff like that but the members called and asked us to and wanted us to sing by the grave. It was a catholic funeral. (It was the wife of a member in our ward, but she wasn't a member..) It was..really interesting. And REALLY made me grateful for the gospel. We sang "God be with you till we meet again" at the graveside. What a beautiful song, with a beautiful message. Speaking of beautiful messages...the funeral program had a neat quote on it. "The most beautiful thing a person can leave behind is a smile on the faces of those that think of them". I think that goes for a lot of things in life. How neat would it be if we all lived in such a way as l was to leave a smile on the faces of those who ever think on us? Anywho. Saturday was our "mission wide cleaning day" so Sara came over and we gutted out the apartment and now it looks great..except the hot water heater in the shower doesn't work anymore..uhh...naja! And yesterday was ward conference! And next week is stake conference! And ZONE CONFERENCE!! I am real excited. Missions are great. Life is good. I'm not gonna lie, I had a few moments this week where I felt like my entire missionary world was crashing down on me but...I am still kickin'. I have spent lots of time on my knees lately trying to figure out what I need to change to be where God needs me to be. Sometimes it's a little hard to understand why things are the way they are with my tiny grasp of life and the gospel but! God is always patient with me. I feel like the more I learn, the more I realize that..I know nothing. But it's a blessing right? Hah.
I read a great scripture yesterday! Our mission is reading the Book of Mormon together and right now we are in Alma. Alma 33:23 "...and even all this can ye do if ye will." The german translates into something like.."And all of this you can you..if you want to." Agency! The desires of our hearts. "You gotta want it." I think sometimes we think the gospel sounds like a great idea--eternal life, forever families, etc--but we have a hard time actually grasping what that means for us NOW. I feel like if I really realized what the gospel has to offer as and "end effect" most of the little temptations in life wouldn't be tempting at all! The gospel is not hard. We just have to want it. And we have to want it more than anything. Our desires to  become like Christ have to be great enough to outweigh any sort of temptation we may be faced with. Which! I find to be a lot easier when I stop thinking so much about myself and start thinking a little more about others. In ward conference yesterday someone said something along the lines of "..Christ used his two hands to serve.." It made me think of all the things we use our hands for. Most forms of art involve the hands. Most forms of work involve the hands. Most kinds of hobbies involve the hands...we use our hands for lots. But! Sometimes we get our two little hands so busy doing other things that we forget to use them for the very thing I am almost certain God created them for--to serve others. So! this is getting long so I will scamper off.. I love you all! Don't forget to smile! And! If you ever find yourself twiddling your thumbs, get up and find someone to serve! "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. AS WE HAVE THEREFOR OPPORTUNITY, let us do good unto all men..." Galations 6:9-10
I wish you all a lovely week! Alles Gute!
Love,
Sister Bice

No comments:

Post a Comment